Hurt at Work in Portland: 4 Steps to Take

Work in Portland

Workplace mishaps are often avoidable but happen all the time. If you were injured at work in Portland, you should take action and protect your rights.

The Oregon Workers’ Compensation Division is responsible for workers’ compensation claims, and while you can file your case, it is best to have an attorney on your side. Here are the steps you must take after getting injured.

Seek medical care

No matter how small your injuries may seem, always seek immediate medical treatment. It may be hard to prove otherwise that you were injured at the workplace, which could impact your claim.

Report the work injury

As the injured worker, you are expected to report your work injury to your employer immediately. You should do so without any delay and after seeking medical care. Once you do that, the employer will file an accident report with the insurance company, and you need to get a copy of the report.

Get the details you need

You must obtain a list of physicians and doctors approved for future treatment and care. It would help if you also started gathering relevant info, such as your medical bills, the receipts you have paid for, and the contact information of your doctors. If there were witnesses to the mishap, take down their details.

Talk to a workers’ compensation lawyer

Not all injury lawyers in Portland deal with workers’ compensation claims, and therefore, expertise is the factor in choosing your attorney. The lawyer will help file the required paperwork and check other details, such as the possible liability of a third party.

Other things to know

Please note that state laws in Oregon require injured workers to report the injury to their employer within 30 days from the date of the accident. If you miss that deadline, you cannot claim workers’ compensation benefits. It is best to take action immediately. To get the benefits, your injury must be related to your work.

If you don’t report the injury immediately, the insurance company may argue that you were injured somewhere else. As per the state laws, an injured worker (or their family) could be entitled to the following –

  • Temporary disability benefits
  • Permanent disability benefits
  • Medical expenses
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Death benefits

Talk to your attorney about other matters for your claim and let them handle the claims process. Most lawyers will not charge an upfront fee, allowing you to seek legal help without worrying about financial compensation.

Share this..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll Up