Skincare products like facial cleansers, moisturizers, serums, and eye creams are not just for women. Men also should follow a routine to ensure the health and beauty of their skin.
Some may think that skincare for men is only essential if they have a particular issue, such as wrinkles, redness, acne, or other skin problems. Though there are products that can help with specific concerns, having a skincare routine will keep breakouts and signs of aging at bay.
But before buying skincare products, you must consider these two important concepts:
- Skin type – Knowing the neutral disposition of your skin is the first step in caring for your skin. Basic skin types are normal, oily, sensitive or dry, aging, and combination.
- Skin concern – This refers to the specific skin problem you want to address, such as redness and irritation, hyperpigmentation, acne, and signs of aging.
Once you figure out the type of skin you have and the problems you want to eliminate, things will get easier. Most products indicate the skin type and concerns it has been made for.
Here are the products men should include in their skincare regimen.
1. Facial cleanser
Wash your face using the facial cleanser that suits your skin type. In the morning, cleansing will remove impurities and dull skin. In the evening, washing your face will prevent pore-clogging bacteria and oil from sitting on your face overnight.
How to use it:
- Splash water over your face before washing open the pores and remove any deep-down impurities.
- Place a nickel-size amount of the facial cleanser onto your fingertips.
- Activate the lather and gently rub it on your face in circles. Avoid rubbing vigorously because the facial skin is too sensitive.
- Rinse with cool water as this helps close the pores.
- Pat dry using a clean cloth or tissue. Don’t rub your face dry because this stretches your skin, leaving premature wrinkles.
- Don’t use bar soap as a substitute for facial cleanser because it contains harsh ingredients that can harm your facial skin, even those labelled as natural.
- Avoid using facial cleansers more than twice daily, especially if you have oily skin. Over-washing will stimulate your skin’s oil glands to work harder, producing excessive oil.
2. Facial scrub
Scrub or exfoliate your face at least once a week after washing your face. But for men with oily skin, you may exfoliate more often.
Exfoliation will remove dead skin cells to help new skin cells to reveal themselves, thus enhancing your complexion. Preventing the build-up of dead skin cells also leads to fewer breakouts and clogged pores, especially for guys with oily skin.
How to use it:
- Wet your face with warm water.
- Place a small amount of the facial scrub in your palm and gently rub it in circles around your face. Focus on your forehead, nose, and neck because these areas are prone to build up.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Pat dry.
- Don’t overuse a scrub because it can cause irritation, dryness, and excess oil production.
- When shaving, scrub the area before every shave as this prevents bumps and ingrown hairs. A men’s facial scrub can help in ensuring the facial hair protrudes as high above the skin as possible for a cleaner cut.
A serum has the same consistency with a light lotion or gel packed with skin-building and hydrating ingredients. It is more potent than moisturisers and meant to give nutrients and active ingredients faster and more effectively.
How to use it:
- The serum comes in a dropper bottle – place at least two drops on your fingertips.
- Rub your fingers together and apply the serum in swiping motions on your forehead, nose, and cheeks.
- Pick a serum based on your skin concern. But if you need to address multiple skin problems, you may apply one in the morning and the other at night, or alternate every day.
4. Eye cream
The best eye cream can be your secret weapon for looking great. Dark circles and bags can accumulate around your eyes if you don’t get enough sleep.
Normally, body fluids and blood go towards your head when you sleep. If you don’t give them time to do so, the fluids may push against the skin. And this can lead to dark circles and puffiness.
An eye cream contains ingredients that can stimulate the areas around your eyes, preventing fluid build-up and puffiness. Caffeine, for instance, is an essential ingredient that can help drain blood back into your body.
How to use it:
- Place a small amount on one of your fingertips.
- Distribute the product evenly by pressing your other fingertip against it.
- Tap your fingertips around your eyes outside to inward motion. Continue tapping until the formula is fully absorbed.
- Use your ring finger because it is the weakest, thus minimising the possibility of tugging or pulling at that area.
- For dark circles to fade modestly, choose eye creams with high concentrations of vitamin C.
As you age, the skin’s ability to retain moisture degenerates because the body can’t produce a steady amount of collagen. Moisturisers can provide your skin with enough hydration and essential nutrients to make it firm, young, and healthy. Moisturisers also have an anti-aging effect.
How to use it:
- Like facial wash, you should apply moisturisers in the morning and at night.
- After cleansing or scrubbing your face, apply a facial moisturiser over your face. Focus on your forehead and around your eyes.
- You don’t have to rub the moisturiser vigorously over your face.
- Use only a small amount to reduce blemishes and keep oil in check.
Masks may come in different kinds, but they all are meant to supplement your core skincare regimen. Like serums, they deliver concentrated ingredients to your skin and target specific skin problems.
Clay masks are among the best masks for men, especially for beginners. They contain clay and mud to deep cleanse your pores and remove built-up debris, dirt, and oil.
How to use it:
When using facial masks, read the directions that come with the product because they may vary from one manufacturer to another. There might be some tips, routines, or exceptions that apply to the kind of mask you intend to use.
- Avoid overdoing it. Once a week will do the trick.
- If you are using clay-based masks, moisturise once done to keep your skin from drying out. Moisturisers can also restore pH balance and keep your skin vibrant and healthy.
- Be patient when using masks, as this requires at least ten minutes to apply and let it do its magic. Rushing the treatment makes it less beneficial. The key is to clear your schedule before applying the mask.
Like any other body part, the skin requires preventative measures to keep it firm and healthy. It is no different than cardio, eating right, body massage, weight lifting, and yoga to keep the body in shape.
So if you don’t have a skincare routine yet, now is the best time to start one. Buy products that work perfectly for your skin type and address your skin concerns – and use them consistently!
I am a passionate blogger having 5 years of experience in blogging and digital marketing. I have started List Absolute in 2018 to give my passion a live platform. I have also good hand in writing unique and quality content. Here I contribute in my free time. Thanks for reading. Let me know if I can help you get your work done in a timely manner.